Wednesday, May 27, 2009

16 Minute Monster

I did this sketch a while ago to practice for a quick sketch contest. As the title states, it took 16 minutes for this guy.





And, just for MuYoung, the yellow-faced wizard pirate:





Below is the progress so far. I still need to punch up the highlights a bit and define some areas. His hair and eyebrow are not completed, yet. I've been contemplating taking this into Photoshop and combining some digital elements. Using digital and traditional media together is very interesting and I haven't quite been able to mesh the two in a satisfactory manner. Perhaps it will work well for him.




2 comments:

MuYoung Kim said...

Your are a pip, Kim. A pip!

Thanks for showing ye old yellow face, arrr. I have to ask if you happen to be a big fan of Impressionism underpainting?

As for digital and PS, right off the bat I'd say you'd find some real use out of the color balance tool and desaturation sponge. Also, I think using both Overlay and Color layers at low opacity and building up color with multiple such layers might be right up your alley.

For what it's worth, if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

Wow...that came off smug...

K. Feigenbaum said...

What's a pip?

Thanks for the comments. I'll take your advice and play around in PS some more.

I'll be sure to ask for help if I get stuck.

Thanks again!!